Monday, February 15, 2010

Overnight Camp-out

The weather has just been gorgeous lately and I have had the itch to go camping. Of course Jason and the kids jumped right on it since it was "mom" who actually was the one wanting to go. We decided on an overnighter to Valley of Fire. We left Sunday after church set up camp, climbed all over the rocks and enjoyed dinner and s'mores around the campfire and of course a lot of singing. That night the kids fell asleep to me and Jason taking turns telling them stories about us when we were their age. We had a lot of laughs and a few sad memories.

The next day we woke up cooked breakfast and did more climbing on the rocks, I think we must have covered quite a few miles on those rocks. We also played catch, frisbee, track ball and had chicken fights on the cement curbing. We also did the Mouse Tank hike. It is a short hike to a natural basin in the rock where water collects after rainfall. It was a hideout in the 1890’s for the Indians. We saw numerous petroglyphs along the way and some foot tracks of a mountain lion and some teeny teeny tiny tracks that must have been from a mouse.

We were only gone 24 hours but we had a GREAT time. I just love the weather this time of year and realize that it doesn’t last long. I am so glad we went!



4 comments:

Kristin Chesnik said...

I am always so impressed with campers. Minus the spending the night outside, everything sounded so fun! I am sure you have made some great memories with your kids.

Deanna said...

You are giving me spring fever BAD. We still have snow covering our yard. Glad you could take advantage. I'm not the best camper but ai do love the time it gives me to spend with my kids when there aren't a million other thing clamoring for my intention.

The Dell Family said...

That makes me want to get out there too. Looks like you guys had a blast.

Liz Prisbrey said...

This looks like so much fun! I really wanted to go! :-( We need to get together and do something soon. It seems like we can never do anything.